ATTENTION ALL LOVERS OF RETINOIDS, GLYCOLICS, VITAMIN C SERUMS AND ALL THE GOOD STUFF!
Please take a break from these products at least 2 weeks prior to your microblading session for best results.
Refrain from drinking alcohol or taking blood thinning meds 24 hours prior ( many studios say no caffeine as well, but lets get REAL, our world doesn't happen without it - so its up to you ;) )
Any treatments such as lasers, peels, waxing, botox etc should also take place 2 weeks prior.
Skin should be healthy and non irritated, blemish and sunburn free for best results
THE BEST WAY IS TO NOT DO MUCH!
Please read all aftercare instructions on this page to make sure you can commit to this brow journey, especially the first 10 days. How you take care of your fresh brows greatly affects the healed outcome.
FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE RULES FOR THE BEST RESULTS:
NO MOISTURE! NO WATER! NO SWEAT! NO SUN! For 10 days.
The best results come from the "Do Nothing" or "Dry Healing" method. The absolute best results come from keeping your brows extremely DRY for the next 10 days! Keeping them dry makes them retain more detail, better color, and more crisp strokes, so it's worth it :) It sounds tricky- but can be done if you're mindful of it. Here's how...
- Within 2-3 hours after the procedure wash the ointment off your brows with sterile water and gauze pad included in your kit. And that’s it for the next 10 days!
- Keep your face directly out of the shower stream & do your best to carefully wash hair and keep face as dry as possible. Keep clean, dry paper towels on hand to pat dry if they accidentally get moist. Also keep showers brief, as too much steam can harm brows as well.
- When washing your face, be sure not to splash water onto your face like we normally do. Instead use a washcloth or disposable cleansing wipe to wash AROUND the brows, making sure they stay dry :)
- Use product free blotting paper 3 times a day for normal skin, and 6 times a day for oily skin directly on top of the brows and then the surrounding area for the first 10 days as well.
- Do not apply any cosmetics on your brows for AT LEAST 10 days. If your skin starts to feel tight and dry around day 7 post treatment, you can use a small amount of * Coconut Oil * (or a fragrance-free moisturizer, such as Cetaphil) IF NEEDED to gently moisturize the area once a day. If you do need to moisturize, please do so sparingly.
- No heavy exercising or sweating for at least 10 days post procedure. If you want the best color and detail retention, this is crucial.
- After 10 days you may wash your face normally, including your brows! with a gentle face wash, such as Cetaphil.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Immediately following your procedure, the tattooed area will appear to be darker and bolder in color, more sharply defined or even have a more filled in appearance. This can last up to a week after the treatment while the initial healing process takes place. The treated area may feel a bit like sunburn afterwards but there should be minimal discomfort and minimal redness.
- During the initial healing period, there may be scabbing, flaking or peeling of the skin. If that happens, do not pick, and allow the scab or dry skin to come off on its own. This is very important! If scabs come off prematurely, the pigment will come out with it!
- The complete healing process takes about 4-6 weeks, at which time the true color of the tattoo is evident. During this process, your tattoo will soften and lighten. Be patient, even if you think too much color has been lost, as your skin is still regenerating and naturally exfoliating.
Microbladed brows go through many phases while healing! Check it out so you know what to expect....
- Day 1 - finely detailed, slight redness
- Day 2-4 - They become darker and more filled in looking as they form a light protective layer or scab. This is only temporary- don't panic!
- Day 5-12- the protective layer naturally exfoliates, peels and flakes away over the course of several days as your skin heals underneath it. The freshly healed skin is white and has a waxy coating, making it appear that the brows are too light. Be patient!
- Day 10-30 - After 10 days you may use brow makeup very gently if you need it. The color will slowly come back to life and bloom back to the surface as that new, white skin settles in and heals. Wait at least 4 weeks to see the true color, as it will take on new strength, and it is only after 4 weeks that your touch-up/adjustment can be done. Your second appointment is to tighten up your shape, touch up any light spots and also to assess how your skin reacts to the process, and the chosen color. We note everyones pigment blend, in case we need to layer in a different shade or adjust the method for the best results :)
- This is a two step process. Brows look really finished after the 2nd appointment.
WHAT NOT TO DO
- You may shower or bathe normally, but avoid getting any harsh soaps, shampoos, water on them as this can be detrimental to the bonding process that must take place for the pigment to stabilize in the dermis.
- DO NOT pick or scratch at the dry skin/flakiness; let the skin fall off naturally. Picking can cause scarring and premature loss of pigment. IMPORTANT: Once the flakes have fallen off, a shiny layer of healing skin will completely cover the hair strokes. It may appear as though the tattooed area has completely disappeared. This is just new skin forming. Within 1-2 weeks, the hair strokes will slowly reappear at a lighter shade as your skin regenerates.
- DO NOT apply make-up to the tattooed area for the first 10 days. Cosmetics of any kind may interfere with the healing and color of your tattoo. After 10 days its fine if you need to gently apply makeup to any light spots.
- DO NOT use Vaseline, Neosporin or other petroleum based products while healing.
- DO NOT bleach, tint or dye the tattooed area for one month following the procedure.
- DO NOT apply any anti-acne products (e.g. Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Proactiv, etc.) or lightening creams (skin bleaching creams) such as hydroquinone to the treated area while healing.
- No anti-aging products or facial products containing Alpha Hydroxyls (AHAs), Retin-A, Lactic or Glycolic Acids
- Do not thread, wax, or use hair removal products on the treated area while healing.
- NO exercising and/or excessive sweating one day prior to getting tattooed and for 10 days after. Heavy sweating will cause the hair strokes to blur and detail to be lost.
- NO Sun exposure, swimming pools, jacuzzis, saunas or other bodies of water for two weeks.
- Do not soak your face underwater in a bathtub or allow the shower to spray directly in your face for two weeks.
- Exposure to the sun over time can cause fading and discoloration of the pigment. Once completely healed, I recommend applying sunscreen daily on the treated area. Wear large sunglasses and a hat for further protection. Rinse and dry the area thoroughly when in contact with chlorine.
- Glycolic acid, retinols, AHA's, anti-aging lotions and serums, microdermabrasion, chemical face peels and laser treatments must be kept away from the tattooed area as continued use could lighten or discolor the pigment.
- If you are having laser resurfacing or laser hair removal after your tattoo has healed, please inform the laser technician. Continue at your own discretion. Laser procedures may darken, lighten, or discolor the tattooed area.
- Once the treated area is completely healed, any changes or additions that need to be made can be done at your follow-up appointment no sooner than 6-8 weeks later. It takes about 4 weeks for the brow area’s skin cells to completely regenerate and settle in.
- There are no implied or written guarantees if you do not take care of your tattoo, and everyone will heal a little differently.
THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT RIGHT FOR YOU IF
- you are using ACCUTANE or have used it within the past year
- if you have very oily skin and/or very large pores on your forehead the hair stroke pigment may be rejected or it may heal very powdery and fuzzy with loss of detail and may need frequent touch ups. Often powder shading, or a combination brow is a good replacement !
- if you want very thin brows (there needs to be at least a slight thickness in order to achieve desired hairlike detail)
- if you are very tan or sun-damaged
- if your skin is very delicate, fragile, sensitive or problematic. The older we get the more fragile and thin our skin gets. People aged over 70 may not have the most ideal results, and may experience loss of detail, discoloration, or additional blurring
- are pregnant or nursing
- are allergic to Lidocaine
- are highly prone to scarring or keloids
- are epileptic
process / faq
WHAT IS IT?
Microblading is a form cosmetic tattooing. It is the process of applying tiny, individual hair-like strokes, following the directional growth of natural eyebrow hair, to create a semi-permanent tattoo, that looks more realistic.
This tattoo is made with a hand tool and not a machine, creating a soft effect, that can eventually partially or fully grow out over time . Pigment is deposited in a more shallow fashion than conventional tattooing.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE INITIAL PRICE?
Each application includes 2 Appointments. This technique rarely heals absolutely perfect the first session. Its essential for the 2nd appointment to fully complete the brows. Its common for the first appointment to heal light or have inconsistencies, but will retain the shape. Its usually not until the 2nd session that the brows look more complete, blended and natural, especially with Claire's specific technique.
DO RESULTS VARY?
Yes - color retention and overall results are different for each individual. Factors such as sun exposure, skin type, aftercare, lifestyle and skin tone determine how your brows heal.
OILY SKIN - tends to 'push out' the ink quicker, and may need more frequent touch ups and heal extra powdery.
DARKER SKIN - will have less contrast and may heal even more powdery or solid looking than lighter tones. The darker the skin tone, the less detail you will see.
MATURE SKIN - is very fine, delicate and thin. It tends to heal more powdery and lines can heal on the thicker side. Results are very unpredictable.
The final results are not guaranteed to replace makeup- you may still need to use a pencil or powder to create your own unique, desired look. The ultimate goal is to have natural looking, balanced brows.
IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LOOK OF FRESH AND HEALED BROWS?
Yes, hairstrokes appear crisp and exaggerated at first, and brows will be really dark for a few days after each treatment. As the brows heal, the lines will slightly expand and are lighter, slightly fuzzy, and softer looking. As the color settles into the skin it tends to heal a bit cooler than when first applied.
DO I NEED TO REMOVE MY NATURAL BROW HAIR TO GET THIS DONE?
No! Please dont! This technique actually looks best when theres natural hair in place. It creates a more realistic look when layered with the texture of your own hair.
**IMPORTANT** This will not look as realistic or 3 dimensional on you if you are bald or have very little brow hair. it will still look two dimensional, without the texture of real hair to add that layer of dimension. It is still a nice soft alternative to makeup or solid block tattooing.
**IMPORTANT** If you are over 70 years old, effects are far more fuzzy and powdery, due to the reduced elasticity and low collagen in the skin and results are unpredictable
DO RESULTS VARY?
Yes - color retention and overall results are different for each individual. Factors such as sun exposure, SKIN TYPE, FOLLOWING AFTERCARE, lifestyle, immune system and skin tone determine how your brows heal.
OILY SKIN - tends to 'push out' the ink quicker, and may need more frequent touch ups and heal extra powdery/blurry.
DARKER SKIN - will have less contrast and may heal even more powdery or solid looking than lighter tones. The darker the skin tone, the less detail or "hairs" you will see.
MATURE SKIN - is very fine, delicate and thin. It tends to heal more powdery and lines can heal on the thicker side. Results are very unpredictable, so please keep this in mind!
The final results are not guaranteed to replace makeup- you may still need to use a pencil or powder to create your own unique, desired look. The ultimate goal is to have natural looking, balanced brows :)
For a more "makeup" polished and precise look, please request a powder or combination of microblading & shading for best results
IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LOOK OF FRESH AND HEALED BROWS?
Yes, microblading will appear crisp at first, and brows will be really dark for a few days after each treatment. As the brows heal, they will lighten, lines will slightly expand and become a bit fuzzy, and softer looking. As the color heals and is surrounded by fresh skin the color tends to heal a bit cooler than when first applied.
WHY TWO SESSIONS?
*1st Appointment - "FOUNDATION SESSION” - Brow mapping and collaborating together on the perfect shape according to your facial features, desired thickness and desired ‘look'. Application of a natural hair stoke pattern. Strokes are applied by hand with a single use disposable tool and the area is numbed for minimal pain. Brows are quite dark for the first week and soften as they heal over the next month. Everyones skin is different, some people will retain a lot of color, others will heal very light or patchy. This appointment is not meant to heal perfectly. This appointment takes approx. 2- 2.5 hours total
*2nd Appointment - “PERFECTING SESSION"- recommended 6-8 weeks later - to touch up any light spots, build additional texture, add hair strokes or tweak and perfect the shape. This session usually takes approx 1-1.5 hours.
Some people may need more than two sessions to achieve their desired brow, due to stubborn skin, improper aftercare, scarring from tweezing etc.
HOW OFTEN WILL I NEED TO GET MY BROWS REDONE? AND HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
This is a semipermanent process. It will fade over time, to varying degrees. A touch up or "REFRESH APPOINTMENT" is recommended at least once every year to keep brows looking their best. Please check our pricing page for the most current touch up cost for regular clients!
L A U R E L
517 East 12th St.
New York, NY 10009
I strongly advise prospective new clients to book their first Microblading appointment at least 3-4 months in advance of Vacations, Weddings, and special occasions. This allows adequate time for healing of both your Initial Microblading Appointment as well as a Touch-Up Appointment 6-8 Weeks after.